Let’s take a look at where we stand.
Here’s an (almost) timelapse of the journey from the beginning of the Vulkan rendering engine to the present day.
- Lightmaps illumination
- Backgrounds and camera bookmarks
- Colorimetry and modulation of ambient lighting by the HDR environment
- ‘Object’ and ‘Position’ rendering buffers
- Monitoring rendering performance
- Rendering on Android
- Fill and UV render modes
- Materials and stickers
- Bounding boxes and other gizmos
- Clipping planes
- Experimenting with the Vive Focus 3 VR headset
- Configuration browsing
- Rendering animations
So, yes, it lacks a few features compared to Patchwork 3D 2023’s OpenGL rendering engine, including: the real-time sun, the post-processes, the 3D bump / relief / parallax bump mapping, the SSAO, the enhanced transparency.
But in terms of performance, WAOUH, it crushes it (and it will remain well above).